CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

The tip of my dogs penis is bleeding, what does this mean?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

1) Is he neutered?

CriticalCareVet :

2) Is he urinating without difficulty?

Customer:

No he is not neutered, "m not sure if he is urinating without a problem. I only noticed it when I let him in from the back yard. when he was urinating yesterday it didn't seem as if he was having any issues

CriticalCareVet :

Does the tip of the penis look like this?

CriticalCareVet :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes it does.

CriticalCareVet :

Excellent - pictures help!

CriticalCareVet :

That is what is called a urethral prolapse.

This is most often treated surgically.

Customer:

What causes this?

CriticalCareVet :

Link here for further information: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/urethral-prolapse-and-neoplasia/page1.aspx

CriticalCareVet :

Causes of Urethral Prolapse

• Prolonged sexual excitement

• Urethral infection

• Stones in the urinary tract (urolithiasis)

• Increased intra-abdominal pressure as a consequence of brachycephalic syndrome, which is a disorder of short-nosed dogs that compromised upper airway function due to anatomical abnormalitie

• Customer:

Is this something that just develops in dogs or is it hereditary?

CriticalCareVet :

It can be both, as English bulldogs and Boston terriers are common with Pit Bulls and other affects young to middle aged male dogs being most affected.

Customer:

How long will recovery be when he gets the surgery. Is their another route to go besides surgery? Or is this the only option?

CriticalCareVet :

2 weeks.

CriticalCareVet :

There is not another option for a true, urethral prolapse

Customer:

Is he in pain? He seems fine for the most part. Do you know how much a surgery like this would cost?

CriticalCareVet :

It is uncomfortable.

CriticalCareVet :

A surgery will depend on who performs it - but it should ideally be done by a specialist

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to leave feedback and credit the post.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

Customer:

Thank you

CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Please leave feedback and credit the post - This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you leave feedback and credit the post, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
    Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
    Hi Breyanna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bruiser. How is everything going?

CriticalCareVet
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    Thank you for all your help after our conversation I took Bruiser straight to the doctor & he diagnosed him with exactly what you said. He referred me to a specialist that very same day and they admitted Bruiser. He had his surgery yesterday afternoon and I was able to pick him up this evening. He is now at home locked in his kennel with his cone on his head to keep him from playing with our other dogs, while he heals. Thanks for all your help, I greatly apperciate it!