Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 50 days pregnant. She is a labrador retriever, three

Customer Question

My dog is 50 days pregnant. She is a labrador retriever, three 1/2 years old, first pregnancy. She had a soft bowl movement, and then diarrhea (watery). Is this normal in pregnancy?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
It's quite common in late pregnancy due to the mobilization of any gastrointestinal parasites, the weight of the enlarged uterus on the colon and the hormonal and prostaglandin levels changing at this time. It's safe to worm Dakota with an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate if you haven't done so already. Other drugs should be avoided if possible. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is our first experience in breeding. Her stool has been back and forth from solid to soft for the past week, but this is the first time it was watery. How long should this go on, and should I notify my vet?
If you haven't wormed, I'd do so before needing to see her vet. If worming were to no avail, her vet should be alerted. Our problem at this time is that we don't want to administer any drugs that might harm the feti. It's best to try modifying her bowels by worming and feeding bland foods, instead - lean ground beef and rice or chicken breast (no skin) and rice, e.g. If nothing is done, it's quite possible that her stools will remain abnormal for the rest of her pregnancy. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. My best to Dakota!