Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

SHOULD I HAVE MY DOGS FATTY TISSUE LUMP REMOVED SURGICALL

Customer Question

SHOULD I HAVE MY DOG'S FATTY TISSUE LUMP REMOVED SURGICALLY?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Loretta :

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Dr. Loretta :

If your vet is sure that this is a fatty tumor or lipoma....a soft movable mass under the skin, then these are not generally removed unless they become large enough to interfere with function. Your vet can be sure by a fine needle aspirate. They will not dissolve but often, they can decrease in size and have no harmful effects on Bentley. It all depends on the size of this mass. Where is it and how large? Does it bother him?

Customer :

It is on his right leg and about the size of a golf ball. It does not bother him at all.

Dr. Loretta :

This will probably not interfere with function so it is not important that this be removed. This will be your choice but leaving it will not be harmful unless it grows large enough to interfere with Bentley's function. This area is hard because if it does grow large, then there may not be enough skin to cover the defect when it is surgically removed later.

Customer :

The reason i am asking is when Bentley was at the vets for his yearly check up and license renewal and shots the vet then was not concerned about it because he was extremely busy with snowbirds, i live in a tourist city but now there are no patients so i am wondering if he just wants to make money, i know this sounds terrible but i do not want bentley going through all this unnecessarily.

Dr. Loretta :

Oh yes, I certainly understand and for now, if I were you,I would not put Bentley through this procedure now. Golf ball size is not huge and it may stay this size with no harm to Bentley...you will always have the option to have this removed if it does grow larger or if it starts to bother him. That is just my opinion....ask this vet why he feels that it is important to remove this now when before ot was not important and then decide for yourself. They may have a reason that I am not aware of....

Customer :

Thank you I feel much better . The vet actually tried to imply that I was ignoring

Customer :

\Bentley until i reminded him that he did not seem to concerned at our yearly visit. Again I thank you for your imput. Take care JO

Dr. Loretta :

You are very welcome, JO! I am sure you will do the best for Bentley....