Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.

My dogs stomach has been making alot of noise the past 4 hours,

My dog's stomach has been making alot of noise the past 4 hours, gurgling and squeaking noises. She had a normal bowel movement, but is refusing food. She seems uncomfortable, but is not vomiting. She is not bloated Her vet has had me add one fish oil capsule (1400) to her wet food every day, due to very dry skin the past week. Could it be the fish oil upsetting her stomach? I am not going to give her anymore. Is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable - or do I need to get her to an emergency vet now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

You are talking with Dr. Denise and I am glad to assist with this question.

I think where Tanzie had a bowel movement and is not throwing up, and does not appear bloated that you can try some measures at home to make her more comfortable. You could buy some Pepcid and give her a dose of 0.1 mg per pound of body weight once every 24 hours. If she doesn't seem better in the morning, wanting to eat, or if she vomits tonight then take her to your vet.

You can try her with a little bland food an hour or so after the Pepcid which could be 3 parts of boiled white rice to 1 part of boiled skinless chicken breast.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is all the noise her stomach is making? Do you think she may have bloat, that is what I am most concerned with. Thank you
The noise is increased motility of the stomach and intestines due to indigestion. Bloat would be evidenced by a distended abdomen and attempts to vomit and then her gums would look rather pale and she would become quite weak. If you see any of these things then yes take her to emergency.

You are very welcome.