Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog poops around 5 times a day, is that normal? Hes a

My dog poops around 5 times a day, is that normal?
He's a german sheppherd/rotti/husky, 5 years old, his food is always there for him, but only touches it at night (I work from home, guarantee, only eats at night) He eats about a cup, cup and a half. Brand is Acana Ranchlands. He drinks I would say a normal amount.

I find it quite worrisome since my last dog, granted on cheaper food, went once a day. But Shilo goes often, especially on walks. It starts off I'd say normal and gets slowly more liquidy until his final poop...

We got him from the SPCA two months ago, he got kennel cough and a sinus infection from there, if that's relevant.

Thanks!
Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

That is quite often.
I do feel this is well worth a little further investigation. some of these more holistic diets can cause some digestive problems. So, it might be worth a diet change to a more simple premium food like Royal Canin, Science Diet, or Innova.

Also,
A fecal test is a must!

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Even if no diarrhea, worth the fecal testing. Also, if any problems with weight loss, and due to breed, I would consider EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) as a cause. When pancreas is not producing the enzymes necessary to fully digest food. Common in Shepherds, can be tested for with a blood test called a TLI.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click a “Happy/Excited Face” followed by “Submit”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to select a face and click submit.
REMEMBER: Even after you click a happy face and select “Submit”, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: