Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
53976849

My 11 week old Shih Tzu puppy started vomiting a couple of

My 11 week old Shih Tzu puppy started vomiting a couple of days ago -- mostly bile -- and she has normal and loose stools. This started occurring the same day we put K9 Advantix on her, which I washed off the next morning when she threw up, but she also ate some treats I gave to my older Shih Tzu that she had never had before AND she ate some bark off a log in our backyard. Now she is acting normal but heaving up foamy bile every few hours, and she just had a loose stool. If I hasn't seen her throwing up I would not know she is sick. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.

dogdoc4u :

Hi there and welcome to Just answer!! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions.

dogdoc4u :

Is she coughing until she is vomiting or wretching then vomiting this material?

dogdoc4u :

Did Jessica have her first vaccination series at 8 weeks old?

dogdoc4u :

At this point, I would take away her food for the remaining evening and reintroduce small frequent meals in the morning (one teaspoon orally hourly then increase the amount while reducing the frequency)

dogdoc4u :

If she vomits again, remove the food for an additional 12 hours then try again

dogdoc4u :

If she continues to vomit then I would strongly advise seeking a veterinary clinic open in order to have her seen

dogdoc4u :

With puppies of her size at this age they can go downhill very quickly and it would be better to get a diagnosis and treatment before she shows any other signs of illness

dogdoc4u :

I will be on-line an additional 20 minutes and monitor for your entry into the chat...

Customer:

Hi

dogdoc4u :

Hello

Customer:

Thanks very much. She is just playing and all of a sudden will start heaving and throw up a tiny amount of foamy fluid twice or three times in a row, then go back to playing. She doesn't seem interested in her food at all though.

dogdoc4u :

Is she licking her lips, increased salivation, or have a gurgling stomach?

Customer:

Also yes, she has had all her shots and was wormed

dogdoc4u :

Great, thank you

Customer:

She has a gurgling stomach but is not really licking her lips more than normal.

dogdoc4u :

OK, when was the last time she ate and held that food down?

Customer:

This morning I think, although I left her kibble out all day. She had a normal bowel movement this morning also and then some diarrhea this afternoon on our walk. She then threw up twice between about noon and 9 pm and had a loose stool. She has been sort of playing with her kibble but also eating bark before I caught her and put her in the house.

Customer:

and also grass

dogdoc4u :

Yes, those are signs of nausea

dogdoc4u :

I would be concerned with a puppy of her age to continue down this path another 36 hours until your veterinary clinic opens again

dogdoc4u :

Is she holding down water?

Customer:

I think so although I haven't seen her drink any water. She is sleeping now. Should I take her to the emergency vet tomorrow morning?

dogdoc4u :

Yes, if you try feeding her as I directed above (you can use white rice and boiled chicken, 1 teaspoon hourly in the morning) and she continues to vomit I would advise taking her in along with a fresh fecal sample

Customer:

Oh my gosh she is going to love that.

dogdoc4u :

Hopefully

dogdoc4u :

If you have any pepcid (famotidine) you can also give her 1/8 of a 10 mg tablet about 20 minutes before trial feeding

Customer:

Pepcid tablets?

dogdoc4u :

So feeding 1 teaspoon hourly for a few hours if she is holding it down then slowly increase the quantity while reducing the frequency

dogdoc4u :

Yes

dogdoc4u :

If she vomits again, discontinue and please seek a veterinary clinic that is oen

dogdoc4u :

open

Customer:

Can I use chicken broth?

dogdoc4u :

Preferably not, this is much more acidic and salty

dogdoc4u :

The chicken and rice is very very bland

dogdoc4u :

You can use boiled beef

Customer:

Okay -- I need to get Pepcid at the store so will get the chicken then. Is there anything I can do to make sure she is hydrated?

dogdoc4u :

You can also purchase some pedialyte

dogdoc4u :

But if you are offering her the pedialyte and she begins to vomit this as well then it would be best to seek the veterinarian sooner rather then later

Customer:

Also, I used to have these problems with my adult Shih Tzu -- she did the same thing -- and I usually nipped it in the bud by giving her a tiny taste of yogurt. Will this work with my puppy?

dogdoc4u :

I would not give her anything but liquids this evening

Customer:

Okay -- what is pedialyte? baby formula?

Customer:

Okay so just water tonight and the chicken and boiled rice tomorrow morning

dogdoc4u :

Yes, pedialyte is a baby water that has an electrolyte balance in it

dogdoc4u :

Yes

Customer:

after the pepcid. okay i think I understand. Water tonight. Tomorrow morning 1/8 tablet of pepcid before feeding (about a half hour?) then one teaspoon hourly of the chicken and rice. If she vomits again, take her to the vet.

dogdoc4u :

So just a teaspoon at a time of the pedialyte tonight

dogdoc4u :

Perfect

Customer:

How do I get her to drink it?

dogdoc4u :

You can get a syringe in the child section as well

dogdoc4u :

Or use a bulb syringe as well

dogdoc4u :

Turkey baster

dogdoc4u :

I like a syringe as you know exactly how much you are giving and easiest to administer

Customer:

Oh so just dribble it down her throat. She is pretty lively so that will be interesting.

dogdoc4u :

Along where her lips meet...dripping will stimulate licking/ swallowing

dogdoc4u :

So near the cheek

Customer:

Oh I see. And if she throws up the pedialyte tonight -- not sure there is a 24 hour emergency vet in my town. Am I okay until tomorrow morning?

dogdoc4u :

Yes you should be fine until tomorrow

Customer:

Okay thank you very much -- you have been really helpful. Have a great night.

dogdoc4u :

You as well

dogdoc4u :

Good luck this evening and tomorrow

Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing small animal veterinarian for 15 years.
How is Jessica doing today?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's doing great! Fully recovered - your treatment worked perfectly. She loves the chicken and rice and I'm now wondering how to get her back on kibble. Or should I just continue with a mixture? Her bowel movements are much less frequent and I have to admit it has been a boon to my housebreaking efforts.
I would definitely recommend converting her back to her normal diet, this is for cases of gastroenteritis or upset stomach. In order to get her to eat her normal diet you need to make sure to do a very very slow conversion, meaning increasing with a few kibbles daily while tapering her white rice and chicken. This process might take a week in order to resolve and if she is not eating the kibble you need to stick to you guns and not let her sad eyes tell you she is starving without it!
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian