Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My question is can I give my dog penicillin prescribed for

My question is can I give my dog penicillin prescribed for a person if I cut dosage. My dog ways 65 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help.

1- Is the penicillin oral or injectable?
2- How many milligrams?
3- Type of penicillin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Penicillin VK 500 MG Oral pills
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
If there is an infected cut on his foot I would strongly recommend you consider having him checked by your family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- In response to your question, yes, you can give him 1/2 (half) of the 500mg Penicillin V every 8 hours for the next 7-10 days. But, you need to stop him from licking or it is not going to get better. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area. It is best to leave the area uncovered. Until you pick the ecollar you can apply a light bandage but the bandage needs to be changed 2-3 times a day.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy (CVS) "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap. Wash affected area with this soap 2-3 times a day.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much ....Don't have the money to take him to the vet it would cost at least 200.00 but if this doesn't work I will take him
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
I truly understand your financial limitations. Doing the above would be a good place to start. Make certain you pick up the ecollar (cone); very important. Best of Luck!

Your Welcome.

Dr. Peter