petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

my 13 year old dog has begun throwing up her food after eating.

my 13 year old dog has begun throwing up her food after eating. It usually contaons food and clear slimy liguid. The food is mostly meat or chicken. When we give her cottage cheese or eggs or ice cream or her jerky treats she does not. What should I feed her and should we feed her more than once a day small meals
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to answer your questions.

How long has this been going on with Molly?

Has she been examined by your veterinarian for this problem? Was any bloodwork done? Any xrays?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Off and on for about 2 weeks. Some days were OK after we started

Pepsid AC.

It appears she is regurgitating only part of her meals.

She has not yet been examined

Otherwise she acts normally

Expert:  petdrz replied 4 years ago.

What worries me the most about Molly and her symptoms is her age. I don't think it is so much what she is being fed that is the problem, although smaller more frequent meals are probably better tolerated. In older pets, there is a greater risk for her GI symptoms to be due to organ dysfunction, like kidney failure or even worse, things like GI cancer. Inflammatory bowel disease could be a consideration as well and is often a little easier managed with medications.

I would definitely recommend that you start with and exam and bloodwork at least. If the cause is not identified there, you can discuss the benefits or further testing or maybe a trial of medication. Pepcid AC can be helpful, but is really not much more than an antacid, so unless the problem has to do with excess gastric acid, it wouldn't be expected to help much.

In the meantime, continue to offer small amounts of water at a time and offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK.

Good luck with her and please let me know if you have any further questions.