CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

How much asprin can I give my 20 pound dog? And do I buy baby

How much asprin can I give my 20 pound dog? And do I buy baby asprin?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

What illness are you looking to treat with the aspirin?

Customer:

Waht looks like to me is the leg/back pain

CriticalCareVet :

Has your vet discussed better / safer options?

Customer:

no right now he told me that looking at the video i supplied him to look at he doesn't see that there is anything that bad...but she is clearly unconfortable at night...she can't get comfortable...so i thought if i give her some asprin it might help....she is seeing the vet on friday because i insisted on a visit....she only seems to be uncomfortable at night when she is trying to sleep

so that is why i made the video

CriticalCareVet :

I am going to list some thoughts for you to consider.

Customer:

ok

CriticalCareVet :

Regarding pain management in dogs, common options to consider include:

1) NSAIDS (like ibuprofen - BUT SAFE FOR DOGS!)
- Rimadyl (LINK HERE)
- Deramaxx (LINK HERE)

2) Tramadol (an opiod like morphine used in dogs) - LINK HERE

Unfortunately these are prescription only, made only for dogs - but the reason they are used is that they are not only safe, but much more effective than over the counter options, as they are formulated to affect the pain pathway in dogs, but have a much lesser affect on the body’s other areas, the stomach, kidneys, and liver for example.

There are a few reasons we do not use human pain medications in dogs:

1) They are not as effective in controlling pain.

2) They have more side effects in dogs - including stomach upset, stomach ulceration, and even organ issues such as kidney or liver. Aleve for example can cause kidney failure in dogs even at very low doses. They are extremely sensitive to many human drugs.

3) They interact with veterinary drugs - meaning if you give aspirin for example, and then see your veterinarian tomorrow - if they want to prescribe a pain medication, they wont be able to prescribe a dog NSAID for a week or more for safety reasons. The reason is that steroids or the Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) listed above - when used together, cause not only stomach upset - but the risk is an ulcer or even perforation in the stomach or beginning of the small intestine!

With that said, while most veterinarians do not like the use of human over the counter pain medications such as Tylenol (acetaminophen) or human ibuprofen, although some have good experience with aspirin (LINK HERE)

A typical aspirin dose is 5 to 10 mg per pound (10 to 20 mg/kg) twice daily for dogs. However, it is important to note that aspirin should never be given if already on NSAIDS as above, or steroids such as prednisone.

When using NSAIDS or aspirin, often Pepcid A/C (famotidine) LINK HERE is used as well to reduce the risk of stomach upset.

The typical dose administered is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours

I hope this information is helpful!

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

Customer:

So is the asprin i am currently giving her bad for her....they said it had to be given to her bec she is taking tht lysodren

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - it can have side effects as listed above.

Customer:

so do you think i should stop the asprin all together this week?

CriticalCareVet :

I would speak to your veterinarian about this for certain as there are much safer long term pain medications to consider.

Customer:

so do you disagree that they told me she had to have the asprin due to taking the lysodren...?

CriticalCareVet :

If they are worried about clotting - that is much different than why you are asking your question.

CriticalCareVet :

I asked above why you are giving aspirin - and you indicated it was for pain.

Customer:

yes...that is waht they said

CriticalCareVet :

Again - I asked above why you are giving aspirin - and you indicated it was for pain.

CriticalCareVet :

That is significantly different than its use for thrombosis.

Customer:

yes......but since she developed this leg pain i though she needed something stronger....or a higher dose of asprin

CriticalCareVet :

That would not be the best.

CriticalCareVet :

And why the information above was listed.

Customer:

ok...i will jsut have to wait for friday

CriticalCareVet :

I would speak to your vet about Tramadol

CriticalCareVet :

Which can be used with the other medications, even aspirin.

Customer:

ok ...i thought i could jsut get her through theis week with a little more asprin to kill the pain...

CriticalCareVet :

Not the best/safest for sure

Customer:

ok....then i will just have to wait until my visit

CriticalCareVet :

Yes - that would be the safest.

CriticalCareVet :

Please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.

CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.