Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

My dog keeps scratching at his neck. He does not have fleas

My dog keeps scratching at his neck. He does not have fleas or ticks anywhere on him. But his constant scratching has caused a raw spot on his neck approximately 2-3" long. I've applied medication and wrapped his neck with a bandage and gauge. But he is able to scratch it off and continues to scratch at the raw area. Is there some type of collar I can use to protect that area so he can't get to it with his scratching?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long has he been scratching at his neck?

Is the sore area bleeding?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has been scratching for almost a week now. It's not bleeding but it is terribly raw.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Sorry to hear that Scooter is itching so much. At this point I agree with you. We do need to stop him from itching. Putting something over his neck is one way to help, but I would also recommend giving him something to help stop the itching also.

You can give him an antihistamine to reduce the itchiness that he is feeling. Over the counter you can try Benadryl or diphenhydramine. This antihistamine typically comes in 25 mg tablets. The dose is one mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours. This is a very safe dose that rarely causing any side effects - if any he may get slightly drowsy. Unfortunately this medication alone does not always help therefore you may need to call your vet if they can be reached over the weekend to have a prescription of prednisone called in which is even better for very itchy dogs.

An E-collar or cone that goes around the head may help depending on exactly where the spot on the neck is. If this will not cover the spot on the neck then I would suggest using a kid's turtle neck (thinner fabric if possible) to cover over the wound. By putting this on with his feet through the arm holes it should stay on. An e-collar turtle neck combination should be even better.

Continue to use the wound and infection ointment or you could even try a hydrocortisone ointment on the sore. If this is not helping then unfortunately an oral antibiotic may be needed.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any questions.