lightbeaconvet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been practicing on canines for 23 years including military working dogs and breeders.

My dog has fluid filled place on his left lower rib cage still

Customer Question

My dog has fluid filled place on his left lower rib cage still acts like normal I just bought pallet of new grass for my yard he likes to lay on new grass squares I put down but it has fire ants but spot wasn't there til day after I put grass down he shows no sign of pain when I touch the fluid filled spot
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  lightbeaconvet replied 4 years ago.
Dear Pet owner, I am sorry to hear about Axl.
The fluid filled place on his rib could be from fire ant bites.When I was in the Army they were all over the drill fields and their bite stung. The part about that that doesn't fit is that if it was from fire ant bites the area should be inflamed and painful. As a veterinarian for 23 years I have seen many situations like yours where something you did like lay down the grass was totally coincidental to the problem. No matter what (I realize you were just at the vet) but the best way to figure out what is going on is to take Axl back to the vet and have him drain the fluid with a needle and look at it under a microscope. I hope this helps