Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

my dog has a scab that forms on her ears on the inner part

my dog has a scab that forms on her ears on the inner part that flaps over i cleaned it off and put medication on and it was right back the next day what is it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 4 years ago.

Dr. K :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer! I would be happy to help you with your pet today.

Dr. K :

Sometimes dogs will get a cut on the inside of their ear...or if they scratched at the ear they lacerated it themselves with their nail.

Dr. K :

The scab is part of the healing process, and you should not remove it.

Dr. K :

If you remove it, a new one will continue to form to try to heal the skin in the area and make it normal again.

Dr. K :

As long as this area is not oozing anything, there is no foul odor coming from your dog's ear, and your dog is not shaking her head a lot or scratching at her ear, just leave the area alone.

Dr. K :

You can put some neopsorin ointment on it if you would like...but do not rub at the area or try to remove the scab.

Dr. K :

Just allow it to heal on its own.

Dr. K :

After a week or two, the scab should disappear and the cut should be healed.

Dr. K :

If you do see any of the other signs that I mentioned above, then she will need to visit the veterinarian for an examination as she may have an ear infection.

Dr. K :

I wish you good luck with Bella!

Dr. K :

If you have further questions regarding this matter, please just let me know as I would be happy to address them for you.

Dr. K :

If not, then please click on the "accept" to show that you were satisfied with your service.

Customer: