Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Dog Veterinary

how can i tell how far along my dog is pregnant? she is HUGE

and starting to produce milk
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

While I cannot precise work out the length of Pixi's pregnancy via the internet I can make the following general comments :

1. One obvious method to work out how far she is along the road of pregnancy is to count the days if you have any idea of the date of mating. The length of pregnancy in the dog is between 63 and 65 days by the way.

2. While there are no guarantees my experience has usually been that if she is producing milk and has a very distended abdomen then the birth will be very close say within the next three or four days.

3. Finally if you want to be more precise a vet skilled in ultrasound would be able to look at the developmental stage of the pups in the womb and check them to some extent as well and work out how many pups there would be. This is rarely necessary but some owners will have ultrasound run for their peace of mind.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott

Scott Nimmo BVMS, MRCVS.

I have over twenty five years full time experience in treating domestic pets and am pleased to do my best to advise you with your current problem. However please note that this advice and any subsequent advice I may give is for your interest and education only and is not intended as a substitute for an in-person consultation with a qualified veterinarian.