Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

how pepto bismol can i give my 7 pound yorkie?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
PeptoBismol is no longer recommended for use in dogs or cats because it contains a salicylate - an aspirin-type drug that might irritate an already irritated gastrointestinal tract. If you have nothing else at home the dose is 1ml/2lbs of bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto) or 3.5ml (0.7 teaspoon) repeated in 4-6 hours if necessary. Perhaps I can recommend an alternative medicine for your Yorkie. Please reply with the symptoms that you're seeing if you wish.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Her belly is making loud noises and she seems to be uncomfortable. I am not sure of her stool (loose or otherwise). She has been getting this frequently and I have changed her diet (she was getting duck treats for awile and now we stopped that). She isnt lethargic (any more than usual - she is 11 yrs old and snoozes most of the day but can still run and jump like she did when she was a puppy.)
Thank you. Borborygymus (the sound of fluid and gas passing through the intestine) and discomfort in an otherwise normal dog may certainly be due to a dietary intolerance and a change of diet may be just the's best to do that over many days to avoid upsetting her stomach further. There are many other causes of these symptoms, however - infections, inflammations of the pancreas and bowel, and even malignancies in the GI tract (unlikely in this case). Conservative therapy would involve the use of the over the counter antacid famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.1mg/lb every 12 hours. (that's a tiny portion of a 10mg famotidine - you might have to powder a pill and divide it into 10 parts and give one part at a time). A kaolin-pectin product is a safer gastrointestinal protectant than Pepto. The dose of Kaopectate, e.g., is 1-2ml every 6 hours. Thank you for your kind accept and please continue our conversation if you wish.