Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My dog's stomach is gurgling loudly and frequently

Customer Question

My dogs stomach is gurgling loudly, it does this quite frequently, and she didnt eat breakfast. Probably wont eat dinner either. It usually goes away after a day or two. What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your dog's gurgling stomach.

Some dogs have very loud gastrointestinal tracts and I don't worry much as long as they eat and drink normally. But if they don't want to eat or have vomiting or loose stools then there is likely a problem. It can be a reaction to something they ate that they should not have, or it can be acid reflux, food sensitvities or allergies, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or metabolic disease (kidney or liver disease or diabetes) or even an infiltrative cancer like lymphoma.

If this happens consistently she does need a veterinary exam and some blood tests.

However for now can start either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one 10mg tab per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one 10mg tab per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help settle her stomach. They are very safe and can be used as needed with her.

2 hours or so after starting pepcid or Prilosec offer her small amounts of water or ice cubes.

If all goes well with that after an hour or so you can start a bland diet of 50% boiled hamburger (or white, skinless chicken) and 50% boiled white rice. Feed small meals several times a day.

Once she feels better start mixing in regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would Pepto bismal do anything?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.

I don't tend to recommend pepto bismol in dogs much as it has salicylates in it which dogs don't handle quite as well as people do. I find that pepcid or prilosec work much better and are much safer, especially if this is something needed long term.

If all you have is pepto then you can try one half teaspoon per 25 pounds of body weight every 8 hours.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much, it is what I have for just tonight. I will be calling and going to the vet tomorrow, as this isn't the first time Willow has had this problem. I wanted to just settle the poor girls stomach a little if I could, so she would be AS uncomfortable, it sounds like a volcano in her gut. She did just go out and have diarrhea too, but it looked "ok" no blood or I am kind of on the fence about using the pepto and found this neat website. I appreciate your opinion while my vet is closed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 years ago.
Very welcome.
I think limited use of pepto in this situation is perfectly fine.
Poor little one sounds like she is very uncomfortable tonight. Glad to hear she'll be checked tomorrow. Let me know how things go for her.