Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

can I give my dog Benadryl? how many milligrams?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a veterinarian practice.

Yes, benadryl can be given to dogs.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Sorry to hear about the hot spots. Often, benadryl, alone, will only help about 1 in 4 dogs with allergy problems. It is frequently necessary to get into a vet to treat any possible skin infection, and usually, a steroid course can be very helpful for relief.

Hope that information helps.
Good Luck

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click a “Happy/Excited Face” followed by “Submit”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to select a face and click submit.
REMEMBER: Even after you click a happy face and select “Submit”, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: