Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary surgeon in companion animal practice.

WHY DO OLDER DOGS ANAL GLANDS LEAK..

WHY DO OLDER DOGS ANAL GLANDS LEAK..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sophie-Vet replied 1 year ago.

Sophie-Vet :

Hi there, I am Sophie a registered veterinarian and I'd like to help you.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP OLIVER WITH IS LEAKING AND IS HE IN PAIN.

Sophie-Vet :

Where can you see the leak?

Sophie-Vet :

Is there a wound on the bottom or inside the anus? How long have you been on antibiotics?

Customer:

NO THERE IS NO WOUND, MY VET DRAINED THE GLANDS AND SAID ONE WAS INFECTED, HE WAS ON ANTIBIOTICS FOR 1 WEEK, THE DISCHARGE IS MOSTLY CLEAR...

Sophie-Vet :

The anal glands are scent glands that sit inside the anus. They usually express scent when a normal stool passes through thr rectum. If the stools are too soft or for apparently no reason at all they can become very full or infected. Sometimes an abcess will form, these often take a week or more to finish draining. Clear fluid may well be some of the flush coming out of the gland. Drainage is usually a good sign. If it is not yellow or pus-like then it is probably not to much to worry about. Antibiotics should clear the infection.

Customer:

HIS STOOL IS VERY SOFT AT THIS POINT, MY DOG IS 15 YEARS OLD, I FEED HIM MOSTLY CHICKEN AND RICE AND A MULTI VIT. AND A DAILY ASPRIN FOR HIS ARTRITIS.

Sophie-Vet :

You could try adding some all bran to the diet to increase the fibre and firm up the stool.

Sophie-Vet :

Just a few flakes in a meal can help the glands to be expressed normally.

Customer:

WHAT KIND OF BRAN

Sophie-Vet :

supermarket cereal bran

Sophie-Vet :

all -bran is made by kellogs, a generic is suitable

Customer:

SO DO YOU THINK WHAT OLIVER IS EXPERIENCING RIGHT NOW AFTER THE ROUND OFCEPHALEXIN IS NORMAL AND HE IS HEALING. HE IS VERY OLD...

Sophie-Vet :

How long has he been on the antibiotics?

Customer:

HE FINISHED 1 WEEK ON LAST TUESDAY.

Sophie-Vet :

Ok, are you due a check up soon?

Sophie-Vet :

If you have stopped the antibiotics and there is still discharge I think a rectal exam should be done to check the gland is not re-filling.

Customer:

WHY WOULD THE GLAND BE RE-FILLING

Sophie-Vet :

Re-infection or lack of normal expression, maybe even overproduction of scent.

Sophie-Vet :

Depends on what is in the gland, you can only tell this from a rectal exam.

Customer:

OK THANKS...

Sophie-Vet :

I hope this is helpful, is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO TO HELP DRAIN THE GLAND.

Sophie-Vet :

No, not yourself. Flushing is something your vet can do. Some severe infections require surgery.

Sophie-Vet :

Giving the antibiotics and fibre are the best things you can do at home.

Customer:

OK...

Sophie-Vet :

Is this helpful? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

I DONT THINK SO, OLIVER IS VERY OLD AND I AM UPSET AND WORRIED ABOUT HIM I HAVE HAD HIM SINCE HE WAS A PUPPY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP, I WILL BE ACCEPTING YOUR ANSWERS. REGARDS, PHILIP

Sophie-Vet :

I wish you all the best. Thanks

Sophie-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinary surgeon in companion animal practice.