Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.

My dog is diabetic. He is breathing very rapidly. What can

My dog is diabetic. He is breathing very rapidly. What can cause this. He has no other symptions. He appetite is goodl
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Have you counted his breaths when he is resting? Let me know how many breaths per minute and also check his gum color. If you can count his heart rate that would be helpful as well. Count the number of beats in 6 seconds and multiply by 10. The heart is located in the chest behind the front legs. If the dog is laying down and you push his elbow up toward the body it would be right there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am checking his breaths and heart rate now. heart rate 60. Breaths 44 gums bright pink
Thank you. The heart rate is very slow and the respiration rate very high so they do not really jive well. One would expect a fast heart rate too. The fact that the gums are pink is very good because that means he is getting enought oxygen.

Fast respiration rate can be from pain, anxiety, heat and lung problems.

I think you can wait to see how he does through the night and if not better in the AM then go to your vet for chest xrays and diagnosis.