CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

I am desperate...my dog is dying from diarrhea...he has constant

I am desperate...my dog is dying from diarrhea...he has constant bowel sounds...he is still trying to eat but i canot get the diarrhea under control..vet said only hope,,,tried endosorb, flagyl, imodium, preboitics, digestive enzymes...nothing is working! Is there anything to slow down his gut? I Am frantic...he is quickly losing weight
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

1) How long has this been going on?

CriticalCareVet :

2) What tests have been performed?

Customer: 2 weeks...we went to emergency vet...started having it again...has been chronic for a yr and a half
Customer: Had liver problems too but that is improving with denamrin
Customer: Blood work, ultrasound, stool
CriticalCareVet :

Who did the ultrasound?

CriticalCareVet :

A specialist?

CriticalCareVet :

Or your family vet?

Customer: A specialist i believe at the emergency vet
Customer: They basically said i had to get the diarrhe under control and protein into him...i can get him to eat but the diarrhea won't quit
CriticalCareVet :

If you wanted to see a specialist, a board certified veterinary internal medicine specialist would be recommended. Your veterinarian can refer you, or you can use this - LINK HERE

When going to that link above, you can find an internist with the provided boxes. Under the 3rd box “Specialty”, choose “SAIM - Small Animal Internal Medicine” and then fill out the rest of your information for state, etc.

These are veterinarians that went through veterinary school, and then did not only at least 1 year of an internship, but then did a 3 year residency ONLY focusing on this specialty to best diagnose and treat conditions such as this.

Endoscopy and intestinal biopsies may be needed if bloodwork, x-rays, and a fecal has not found a cause.

Customer: Ok...i am on borrowed time!
Customer: Can i access the link without losing our chat?
CriticalCareVet :

Yes

Customer: There is one here where i live
Customer: The others are all at ok state univ...we have an appt there but not until the 24th...he will be gone by then
Customer: Any other suggestions?
CriticalCareVet :

Until then - there is nothing specific that can be recommended.

CriticalCareVet :

But I am very glad you are able to get to an internist!

Customer: Ok
Customer: We'll see if they will take us without a referral
CriticalCareVet :

They should - most do!

Customer: They said i need a referral but i can probably get that..
Customer: Someone is going to call me back
CriticalCareVet :

Yes - your vet would likely be happy at this point to get another opinion!

Customer: Thanks
CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome - good luck!

CriticalCareVet :

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to leave feedback and credit the post.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

Customer: Ok i appreciate that
CriticalCareVet :

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please leave feedback and credit the post - This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you leave feedback and credit the post, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.

CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.