Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog has a small lump/bump/cyst-like thing on his lower eyelid.

My dog has a small lump/bump/cyst-like thing on his lower eyelid. It is the same color as his eyelid skin and has a small depression in the center. It doesn't seem to bother him though it has gotten bigger. What could it be? What can we do for him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help.

What you are describing could be a cyst as you have suspected. But, it can also be a benign tumor called an eyelid adenoma. Though these growths are benign because of the location they can cause problem. Potential problem would be rubbing against the cornea if they become large enough. Unfortunately, there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home. I would recommend to have your family veterinarian take a look at the growth and if they determine it is an adenoma or any other type of tumor. Then, surgical removal would be the next step. It is best to remove them when they are small. The larger they become the more invasive is the surgery.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter