CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog is coughing up a clear or milky white phlegm. Hes

My dog is coughing up a clear or milky white phlegm. He's around 14 years old and he's a coon hound/blood hound mix. This started early this morning and I am concerned as he seems to be gagging a bit. We live in Costa Rica and he's not been near a kennel nor other dogs besides his little companions who are quite young.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

While Kennel Cough is a concern - other causes such as Pneumonia would be a concern as would other causes such as heart disease.

Other causes are possible as well, but can not be ruled out based on history alone.

With that said, if the signs persist or worsen, I would recommend a check-up with your veterinarian.

They may recommend x-rays to make sure there is no evidence of pneumonia and also to listen to the heart and look at the heart on the x-rays with the lungs.

If there is a concern for infection, antibiotics will likely be prescribed.

For congestion, many owners find humidification helpful. This is achieved with a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower - this will allow humidification and help to moisten the airways for mucous breakdown and to improve congestion.

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy Face” followed by “Submit”.

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.