My XXXXX XXXXX/chiuaua cross has an infection in one of her toes. She has had it for the past month and a half, on and off. We have surgery scheduled to go in to see if there is a foreign object in there but this past weekend the infection flared up. The vet has now recommended removing the toe. My preference is to see if there is something in there first. Xrays have not been taken. A culture was taken and 3 weeks ago the vet explained that the infection is not a very good kind. She was given a new antibiotic today... Cephalexin 250mg. She is 18lbs, 4.5 yrs old.What do you recommend?
Type of Animal: XXXX XXXXXXX/chiuaua cross
Name of Dog: Shianne
Antibiotics and she has been on an anti-inflamitory. She has had the toe drained. The emerg. vet this weekend showed me the blood which was a light red, kind of milky so clearly infected.
Which toe is affected?
one of her middle toes on her front paw
Did the vet say why they have not done any X-rays?
Felt it would be unnecessary since if it was a foreign object, it would have to be metal to be seen and since it was decided to operate they would find it
A reason to do the X-ray, would be to see if there was evidence of bone infection.
Often, when there is an infection like this that will not go away, it is because the bone inside of the to itself has become infected.
If this is the case, then removal of the toe will definitely be warranted.
The vet did mention that she felt the infection was in the joint now
If you want to be sure you are making absolutely the right decision, then what I recommend you do, is ask your regular vet for a referral to see a specialist in veterinary surgery.
He can't know that without the X-ray.
Most specialists are located at referral centers or colleges of veterinary medicine. The benefit of seeing a specialist, is that you are more likely to get a quick and accurate diagnosis of your animal's problem, and thus a faster resolution of the symptoms. It is also more likely that a specialist has seen this problem before and treated it successfully.
The specialist will be the best one to decide how to go about correcting this problem with the least amount of invasiveness...and the quickest.
This is what I would do with my own pet.
I live near the largest vet school in my country. I shouldn't have too much trouble finding a specialist. I think this is a good way to go.
Would a regular vet be able to identify this problem with an xray?
Sometimes...it often depends on how good their X-ray unit is.
It is true that a foreign body will not show up unless it is metal....
But...if infection is in the bone already...then it doesn't matter...the entire toe would then likely need to be removed.
I would guess not that great. This is a small vet practice.
oh, she has also had a bit of a fever
Fever is often seen with chronic inflammation or infection.
So, this is not surprising.
You have been very helpful. Is there anything else I should know that you can think of?
Not without me being able to examine her myself...unfortunately.
I do think that your best bet is the consult with the specialist at this point.
I am glad that you live so close to the veterinary school!
I wish you good luck with Shianne.
Yes, I am fortunate that way. Thank you for your time.
You are most welcome. :-) If you have no further questions at this time, please click on the "accept" to show that you were satisfied with your service.
I am... have a good night.
11 years experience as Veterinarian