How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 29984
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I fatten up my skinny boxer dog? She is a lot skinnier and a lot shorter than my l

Resolved Question:

How can I fatten up my skinny boxer dog? She is a lot skinnier and a lot shorter than my last female boxer at her age. Marley is only 50 pounds and is a full blooded boxer as 75% is German boxer and the other 25% is just a "normal" boxer.
Submitted: 4 years ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Hello,
Skip the raw egg. Not worth the complication of a contamination issue making Marley really sick.

Absolutely, must do a fecal test.

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:
Fecal Testing

Especially, with a simple giardia or coccidial infection, to easy to miss not doing this test.

Otherwise, the extra meal and adding additional food to each meal is the easiest way to complement Marley's caloric intake.

But, you should have your vet evaluate Marley. Find out what is her BCS (body condition score).
This is a score of her body weight relative to her body frame, and important for helping to determine who underweight she may be. Boxer's are really ideally lean dogs, and it is nice keeping them trim to help with future orthopedic issues in older age.

That is how I would proceed. Exam, fecal test, and the BCS score to see where you are at, and what weight needs to be gained.

Good Luck
Dr. Andy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click a “Happy/Excited Face” followed by “Submit”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to select a face and click submit.
REMEMBER: Even after you click a happy face and select “Submit”, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you