My dog (a Brittany, 1 year old, approx 30-35 lbs, female) threw up in a few places today while we were out. She also had a bowel movement on the floor. She still seems energetic and happy. Not throwing up right now. She may have ingested a small amount of a Rhododendron plant. My husband caught her with a sprig of it in her mouth, but got it away from her. We had two sprigs in the house and both are still there. Is it safe to assume that she is fine as long as she doesn't throw up anymore and her behavior doesn't change? She eats anything and everything she can get her mouth on (I thought the plants were out of her reach, but a few petals and leaf pieces fell on the ground.) She also a few scraps from a steak yesterday...not a lot, I'm careful to only give her a few trimmings and it hasn't bothered her before. Also, I think yesterday I gave her some new food to see if she liked it and mixed it in with her regular food after that (same brand, different flavor).
Type of Animal: Brittany
Age: 1 yr
Name of Dog: Margo
Nothing so far. She seems fine.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.
Unfortunately, no way.
I am concerned, and even if Margo is not continuing to vomit, I do believe she is quite sick.
Let's think about it:
Possible gastritis could be caused by:
- plant material- trimmings from steak (which because of oils, herbs, spices, is not a good idea ever). Common cause of pancreatitis- new food change (often can cause very bad stomach and intestinal distress if not done slowly over 5 days)(same brand will not help...the ingredients are all different). Also, even if you mixed it, still could cause problems-
Lots of variables!
To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body Weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.
If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- poor appetite that persists
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly
Hope that extra info helps
If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.
I greatly appreciate when you click “Accept”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative, even if you are a subscribing member. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed. This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. If we have exited the chat session, you may click a “Happy/Excited Face” or select feedback followed by “Submit”.
REMEMBER: Even after you click a accept, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at:
As long as she isn't showing those symptoms, can I wait until Monday to take her to her regular vet or do I need to rush her to the emergency clinic regardless (100's more dollars).
That is the one question I just don't know without my own exam, but is also the reason I provided that list of what symptoms definitely constitute getting into an ER vet sooner.
It's the best I can do. It would be wrong for me to say everything will be fine, because it isn't based on an exam or even a single test. I am sure you understand.
May i be of any further help?
Yes, thank you.
2003 UC Davis Veterinary Grad