DrChristineM
DrChristineM, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years in small animal medicine treating dogs and cats.
23497452

are maple tree pods/seeds toxic to dogs? we have a little

are maple tree pods/seeds toxic to dogs? we have a little pomeranian and he started to throw up this evening and it looks like he ate some seeds which we think are from the maple tree pods that have been falling.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 4 years ago.
I have not been able to locate any source that says the seeds or pods pose any danger. The red maple leaves can be considered toxic, and signs of toxicity can include stomach pain, lack of appetite, lethargy, and dark urine.

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything I can give him? Would tums be toxic to him? Do I just let it ride out?
Tums are not toxic. You can give him one and see if it helps--If you want to treat conservatively, you can withhold food for 24 hours and then feed a bland diet (boiled chicken or hamburger and rice). If he tolerates the bland diet well and has no additional vomiting, you can transition him back to his regular food after 3 days of the bland diet.

If he doesn't respond well, seems lethargic, or continues to vomit, I would advise having him seen.