Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

What would cause a male dog to bleed from his penis ? It is

Customer Question

What would cause a male dog to bleed from his penis ? It is not when he urinates . He has been on antibiotics for 6 days, and recieved an anti-inflamatory shot. He still has the same symptoms. He is not eating or drinking very much either.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry your dog is experiencing this problem. Is your dog neutered?
Has he had his urine tested for infection (I understand that the blood does not come when he urinates).

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, he is not neutered. He did not have his urine tested. The vet said his penis was inflamed and gave him an anti-inflamtory shot and antibiotics. He is bleeding almost every time he stands up and walks.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. In an un-neutered dog the most common cause of dribbling blood is a prostate infection. If the prostate is infected and the urine was tested directly from his bladder then the urine will look normal. Blood and pus staining from the prostate can make the penis look infected or irritate the penis to the point it is really infected. A rectal palpation or even better quick ultrasound of the prostate can confirm if this is the problem. The prostate generally requires a special set of antibiotics to penetrate the tissue and cure an infection. I would strongly encourage your vet to check the prostate as it would be the next likely possible problem.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it is a prostate infection, is it something that will go away, once treated properly ? If it is not, what are some other possibilities ?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
It is something that will go away when treated properly, sometimes surgery is required to drain the prostate and a prostate infected once will become easily infected again.

There are not many other possibilities besides a tumor in the bladder but generally there will be signs of this on the urine that was tested. No blood in the urine rules out almost all the other possibilities.

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you :)

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good luck to you both!