Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

My dog sounds like she is having trouble breathing and she

Customer Question

My dog sounds like she is having trouble breathing and she will stumble around and fall over. How serious is this problem.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

How long has this been going on for?

Is she eating and drinking at all?

What color are her gums?

Is she coughing?

Is she acting lethargic?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Started this morning yes she is eating but not drinking to much she is couching and wheezing a lot her gums look pinkish purple
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Sorry to hear that she is not breathing well. This can be a serious problem if her gums are starting to look even slightly purple and she has been doing this all day. My biggest concern with a young dog like her would be something that is either stuck in her respiratory tract or a severe infection that could be causing her symptoms. I have seen dogs get a more severe form of kennel cough which is an infection of the upper respiratory tract. This can cause quite a bit of coughing and some dogs can also develop a secondary pneumonia from this. The stumbling around and falling over also sounds like she is not getting enough oxygen and she is becoming weak from this.

At this time if she is not drinking well and is having some trouble breathing I would definitely take her to a vet tonight to get more help and to find out what is causing her breathing problem.

Hope this helps -please reply if you have any other questions or if I have not answered your questions completely.