Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College, diplomate of American Academy of Pain Management

Is there any way I can painlessly euthanize my dog here at

Customer Question

Is there any way I can painlessly euthanize my dog here at home. She is a 16 yr. old Cocker and is haveing seizures and bleeding from the rectum. Please help me release her from this pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrChristineM replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry that you and Ginger are going through this. There is nothing that you can give her that will humanely euthanize her at home. Anything you could give over the counter will cause suffering and will likely not even be fatal. The ONLY humane methods of euthanasia are controlled substances that can only be given by a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please, I had a Cocker rescue for years. Angel Acres Cocker rescue. We becamr inactive because we ended up with 9 unadoptable dogs.Some deaf, some blind , some were biters others couldn't adjust so they all lived here happily. I still have 5 of the original 9 dogs Ginger is the oldest Please don't let her suffer for hours while I wait for a vet office to open I have prescription pain killers and clonozapam for anxiety would these release her.If you could see this sweet pup and what she's going through you'd help her.Please.
If there was a way that wouldn't hurt her, I would tell you. There simply isn't. Pain killers and anxiety meds are simply going to sedate her. I will opt out so other Experts can give you their advice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could you sit and watch your pet suffer like you are asking me to do? There has to be something I can do.
Is there an emergency facility near you? You could always find somewhere to bring her now instead of waiting until morning.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do you think I'd be online with you if there was aplace I could take her?

I guess none of you are going to help. Please at least pray God takes her before another seizure

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Reading through the questions and answers, the situation saddens me... I too completely agree that there is absolutely no safe, painless and humane method to euthanize a dog at home. There is no medication you can give her; there is nothing you can do that will cause no further pain. No one is asking you to watch your companion suffer. On the contrary, we are urging you to relieve his suffering by finding a veterinarian that can quickly and painlessly ease his pain. We, veterinarians, are people who care deeply for animals and we would absolutely tell you if there was medication that you could give him or do something for him... but there simply isn't. Please call the nearest veterinarian, a horse vet, a cow vet, whatever... This website can give you information on who's near you: www.vetlocator.com. Best wishes to you both.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear DRs. Christine & Gene,

You said there was nothing I could do and I believe you would have given me the information if there was. Fortunatly she did sleep a good part of the night and didn't have another seizure. When the vet's office was opened we took her in and she was mercifully released from her pain to God.

It was one of the worst nights of my life.

But she is at peace now at the bridge. Thank you for trying to help us.

lois

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 2 years ago.
Lois, I am so very sorry for the suffering both you and ginger have undergone. Please know she is in a better place now, knowing no pain. My deepest sympathies...