i think my dog ate rabbit feces. small black "pellets" in his vomit or stoole (not sure which it was) diarrhea in house, unlike him not to tell me he has to go out. he is a little low keyed. what to do?
Type of Animal: mutt
Age: 8 years
Name of Dog: dunkin
haven't feed him again today, keeping my eye on him
Hi, thank you for your question.I just have a couple of questions for you.Is Dunkin on any medications at all?Is it just today that you have noticed symptoms?
he is not on any meds. eats grain free food, same food for years. today is the worst day for diarrhea. has occured in the past week one other time.
Ok, thank you. Generally ingesting rabbit feces alone shouldn't cause illness right away. Dogs can get illnesses from eating rabbit feces, but the most serious ones usually aren't seen for 5-6 months. I am concerned that the black material you are seeing could be blood, which can indicate that he is having some bleeding in the stomach or intestinal tract. This can be caused by things like ingesting certain poisons (rat poisons), intestinal parasites, tumors or masses in the GI systems, liver or kidney failure, ulcers, or foreign objects in the intestines. I would advise having him seen first thing tomorrow--if you can bring in a sample of the black material so that your vet can see what he is bring up, that will be helpful. In the meantime, I would withhold food as you already are. Do not withhold water.I hope this helps, please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
6 years in small animal medicine treating dogs and cats.