Denise Colgrove
Denise Colgrove, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship and residency at UCD, 47 years experience.
24683783

How can I get a prescription for Mometamax without going to

Customer Question

How can I get a prescription for Mometamax without going to a vet? I know that my dog has a fungal ear infection, but I cannot afford a veterinarian.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Denise Colgrove replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

You probably will not be able to get a prescription with out having Layla seen by a veterinarian. For Fungal infections in the ear you could try clotrimazole preparations available over the counter at a drug store to see if that would help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Clotrimazole drops in particular are not available over-the-counter. Only creams and powder sprays. It is very unfortunate that I have to spend so much money when I KNOW what my dog has. The waxy discharge and the smell makes for an easy diagonsis of an fungal ear infection. It is not an ear mite infection and all a vet will do is confirm what I already know and charge me simply to be able for me to get a prescritption to help my dog.
The cream form works. The heat of the ear helps it to work on down. You can clean the ear with onehalf white vinegar mixed with the other half by volume of rubbing alcohol.

Unfortunately that is a law that we have to see the animal before we can prescribe. It could be a foreign body down there too. But I do understand that is why I answer questions to try to help out.