Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

MY DOG BROKE HER TOE, WHAT SHOULD I DO? CAN A VET FIX IT?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
HI,

Welcome to Just Answer. I'm very sorry to hear about this injury to this girl. In a situation where a dog has a possible broken toe, the best plan of action is to get her to the vet to have x-rays taken to see if it is broken and how it is broken. Different fractures will heal differently and open up different treatment options. Could the toe be dislocated? That is another possibility that I've seen that owners make the assumption that a toe is broken. The x-rays will tell if this is the case. Broken toes can be managed surgically or medically depending on what toe is broke and how it is broke.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THANKS DOC. SOUNDS EXPENSIVE. HER TOE IS POINTING A LITTLE UPWARD.DOES THAT SOUND LIKE A BREAK OR DISLOCATE TO YOU?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
That is the problem, pointing a little up may be either one. I'll toss something else into the mix as a possibility too. If you are just seeing the nail pointing a little upward on that toe, the actual injury may be just to the toenail and it is torn / partially torn off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NOT JUST THE NAIL, BUT THE WHOLE TOE. IM WORRIED WHAT THE PRICE RANGE FOR XRAYS AND SETTING TOE..?? ITS GREAT TO TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT IT. SHES A X SHOW WINNER BORDER COLLIE, AND I LOVE HER!Smile
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
In all honesty, it isn't going to be that expensive to get an examination on her and the initial radiographs. Usually with one broken toe, rest and time is the treatment route pursued.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

LILLY S XRAYS SHOWED TWO BROKEN TOES; HAD A SPLINT ON FOR A WEEK,AND BANDAGES FOR 2 WEEKS.HER SKIN WAS GETTING RED AND IRRETATED SO THEY REMOVED THE BANDAGES ALL TOGETHER.WELL, LAST NIGHT SHE HURT HERSELF AND STARTED LIMPING AGAIN.

QUESTION:DO YOU THINK SHE SHOULD WEAR A SPLINT AGAIN? IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO AVOID FURTHER SKIN IRRATATION? SORRY I DONT KNOW HOW TO SPELL IRRATATION.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Don't worry about the spelling - I'm challenged with spelling too. It is spelled irritation. Wearing of bandages / splints can sometimes be very beneficial but sometimes irritating. She may or may not benefit from the splint again. You should have her rechecked by your vet to see what they feel will be the best scenario. In all honesty, rest / minimal activity may be best. They may want to take an x-ray to see how the healing is going. Bones usually take 4 to 6 weeks to heal in most cases when things are going well.