CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My dog has blood in her urine, and frequent urination , starting

My dog has blood in her urine, and frequent urination , starting this evening. Can I treat her with clindamycin 150 mg. BID? I have some left over from her dental work?

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

That would not be ideal.

CriticalCareVet :

Regarding the signs you report above - causes that would be common based on history alone (without being able to perform an examination) would include:

- Urinary Tract Infection - LINK HERE
- Acute Cystitis (inflammation of the bladder) - LINK HERE
- Bladder Stones - LINK HERE
- Urinary Crystals - LINK HERE

There are other causes as well, notably platelet / clotting issues - but they are typically less common without other signs of illness.

To help identify a cause, aside from a good physical examination, evaluation of the urine (urinalysis LINK HERE and possible urine culture LINK HERE) are common first tests.

Unless the examination would indicate this is unsafe, to prevent contamination - a free catch, voided sample is not recommended. Rather, your veterinarian will attempt either a urinary catheter sterile sample or cystocentesis (LINK HERE) to collect a urine sample for evaluation.

If the urine evaluation is negative, yet the signs continue, an x-ray is a common test to consider as most bladder stones in dogs are visible on x-rays.

If a UTI is diagnosed, based on the type of bacteria seen, different antibiotics would be considered - Clavamox or Baytril

Aside from antibiotics, some choose homeopathic remedies such as cranberry (LINK HERE)

I hope this helps and guides you!

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed:

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

CriticalCareVet :

Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.