CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog has had high liver enzymes for about 4 months . the

My dog has had high liver enzymes for about 4 months . the first ultrasound only showed slightly discolored liver. Doctor said hepatitis and keep taking liver support pill and she will be ok.she seemed to get better then started shaking and not eating much and urinating in house if left alone more than an hour .doctor said urinary tract infection.took antibiotics never really got better. Second ultrasound showed very thick stomach lining all the way around . Doctor said stomach cancer but stomach cells sent off did not show cancer. She still won't eat has chronic diahrria excessive urinating and no appetite
Submitted: 2 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

1) Was the ultrasound done by your vet or a specialist?

2) Was a urine sample tested?

3) Has repeat bloodwork been tested?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A specialist did the ultrasound. The urine sample showed blood in the urine and the second time it also showed bilirubin . The second time we did bloodwork the numbers were almost normal . This was when we decided she had a urinary infection. But when she didn't get better and had lost her appetite the bloodwork showed high liver numbers again but never high white blood count . The doctor sent the blood off to see if autoimmune and came back normal
Was a liver aspirate considered / performed?

-
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The liver still looked normal on ultrasound so he decided against getting a sample if that is what an aspirate is.we took samples of the stomach since it looked so abnormal. When he looked at the cells under the microscope he said they were very abnormal looking and he thought cancer but going to send off .when we got results they said no cancer seen
Unfortunately at times, rather than an aspirate - a true biopsy is needed.

This can be done non-invasively - endoscopy.

Unfortunately sometimes cells are not very good and if "abnormal" further evaluation would be great!

Moreover - weight: normal;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;text-decoration: none;">If you wanted to see a specialist, a board certified veterinary internal medicine specialist would be recommended. Your veterinarian can refer you, or you can use this - LINK HERE

When going to that link above, you can find an internist with the provided boxes. Under the 3rd box “Specialty”, choose “SAIM - Small Animal Internal Medicine” and then fill out the rest of your information for state, etc.

These are veterinarians that went through veterinary school, and then did not only at least 1 year of an internship, but then did a 3 year residency ONLY focusing on this specialty to best diagnose and treat conditions such as this.

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist