Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

Why does my dog keep throwing up water?

My dog keeps throwing up his water and keeps on drinking and keeps on throwing up the water. Seems like he is always thirsty. Eats well and is active. He is a 7 year old  Jack  Russell .

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 years ago.

Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:
1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)
2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. cancer in older dogs

We typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.

The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.

This is what I would do for now:
1. With hold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

If that does not help, then blood work and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.