Dr. Jenn
Dr. Jenn, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal medicine since 2004, also involved in working with rescue groups.
23926829

My dog died last night. He started to not catch his breath

My dog died last night. He started to not catch his breath and was taking short quick breaths, He threw up 3 large piles of thick mucus. he had eaten normally and went out to pee. He was on incontinence medicine (Proin) and thyroid pills for low thyroid levals. He was 13 but it seemed the thyroid medicine was helping give him more energy.He finally laid down and just passed away. Any theories?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jenn replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Jenn :

Hi there-I am so sorry for your loss!

Dr. Jenn :

From what you are describing- a heart condition I very possible-as it happened so quickly!! Usually with something like liver or kidney disease, even cancer-there are signs that happen over time.

Customer:

Well what do you think happened? Are you still there?

Dr. Jenn :

A tumor on the heart is possible, there are a structures in the heart that can rupture, or even an arrhythmia is possible--can be compared to a person having a heart attack.

Dr. Jenn :

Since it happened so fast--there would have been a very slim chance of saving him!

Customer:

Do you think the low thyroid reading and night incontinence are related to this?

Dr. Jenn :

not likely

Customer:

he has been drinking more water lately would that suggest a kidney or bladder problem?

Dr. Jenn :

kidney issue or even diabetes

Customer:

maybe he died because he just wore out

Dr. Jenn :

Age is very possible!

Customer:

allright you've been helpful I accept your answer My vet suggested an anourism in the lung

Dr. Jenn :

Unfortunately it is a guessing game at this point-at least he went quickly and it sounds like he did not suffer.

Customer:

Well lets pay you is Jenn your last name or are you a female?

Dr. Jenn :

My first name is Jenn.

Customer:

Ok young lady I think .... good to have more lady vets I'll press the accept button

Dr. Jenn :

Thanks-appreciate that. Take care

Customer:

you still there?

Dr. Jenn :

yes

Customer:

you still there?