Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837
Dog Veterinary

Is pedigree or Purina 1 good puppy food? How long should he

be have puppy food?
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 4 years ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Has Jack been neutered yet?

What current food is he eating at this point?
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
yes he has, we just switched from pedigree to purina one. I have recently heard that neither on one of them are high quality is there something better i should feed him?
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Purina ONE and Pedigree are not bad diets for but they are both not in the higher quality categories of dog foods. I usually recommend to my clients looking at one of the major brands of dog foods but sticking to the higher end in those lines. The dog foods that I would look for are Purina Pro Plan, Nutro diets, Science Diet, Eukanuba, or Royal Canin. These are going to be more expensive then the Purina ONE and are not available at most stores (only pet stores), but I think you will find that the food quality will give Jack an even healthier longer life then the cheaper foods like Purina ONE of Pedigree. If cost is a big issue then I would stick with Purina ONE over the Pedigree.

I would recommend feeding the puppy food until Jack is about 1 year old and then slowly switch over to an adult food in the same line of foods.

Hope this helps -please feel free to reply if you have any other questions.