Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

why does my dog smell like dirty feet and what can I do about

Customer Question

why does my dog smell like dirty feet and what can I do about smell
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

Hello

Dr. Andy :

Wow...you are trying lots of completely random medications!

Dr. Andy :

ivermectin...I would really never give that unless there was a confirmed diagnosis of demodectic or scabies mange.

Dr. Andy :

Your shampoos were worth a try.

Dr. Andy :

So, what to do?

Dr. Andy :

Well, need to identify cause.

Dr. Andy :

Usually it would be something like:

Dr. Andy :

1. Yeast infection on skin...which would explain why everything single thing you tried did not work.

Dr. Andy :

2. anal gland problems

Dr. Andy :

3. Oral infection

Dr. Andy :

So, when pet grooms themselves, the odor from mouth keeps getting on body.

Dr. Andy :

4. The food. The way the stomach breaksdown what you are feeding can cause odor.

Dr. Andy :

So, you have tried enough...definitely, well worth the vet visit at this point.

Dr. Andy :

Might include a skin test to see if any yeast issues to be concerned about.

Customer:

DVM thought it was skin mites he has red skin rash and was losing hair

Dr. Andy :

If so, DVM should not be guessing!

Dr. Andy :

They could easily do a skin scraping test to verify.

Dr. Andy :

Not to mention, ivermectin is used DIFFERENTLY whether it is a scabies problem or demodex problem.

Dr. Andy :

Sounds like time for a new vet.

Dr. Andy :

Also...never hesitate to simply get a consultation with a dermatologist:

Dr. Andy :

--> Then select "find dermatologist"

Customer:

Have no back ground on dog was from shelter in Feb. had been at shelter forXXXXX Paula believes that it may be allergies Last visit 5-01-2012 She did skin scraping at first visit 3-10 She said not always can you find skin mites and that it could be related to fungal infection

Dr. Andy :

I wish I could direct more than that, but to keep doing various treatments would make me no different than any other vet.

Dr. Andy :

Well fungal infection (ringworm), usually will result in focal areas of hair loss, that are circular inflamed and/or scabby.

Dr. Andy :

Really worth the second opinion if you want to beat this.

Dr. Andy :

I do agree allergies could be a exacerbating factor.

Dr. Andy :

May I be of any further assistance?

Customer:

wE ARE TRYING TO GET HIM HEALTHY , HE IS DEFFINITELY BETTER THAN HE WAS WHEN WE GOT HIM mOST OF RASH IS GNE EXCEPT ON UNDERSIDE AND ALL HAIR IS GROWN BACK, IT IS THE SMELL THAT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY, wHAT TO USE TO hELP THAT WOULD BE USEFUL

Dr. Andy :

I think the point hasn't been made yet.

Dr. Andy :

You are asking for another random treatment to try and help get rid of odor, yet no additional testing has really been done to identify the cause.

Dr. Andy :

I can recommend a product line called Douxo, that makes some great shampoos.

Dr. Andy :

Your vet should also carry some special sprays and shampoos designed for whatever skin condition your pet may have. One of my favorite product lines is called Douxo. They carry various shampoos designed to calm the skin, treat bacteria infections, and help with seborrhea (dry, scaly or scabby skin)

Douxo products

Dr. Andy :

Take a look at the products for "pyoderma"

Dr. Andy :

Your vet should have something similar.

Dr. Andy :

It's the best I can do.

Customer:

THE POINT WAS MADE,DR PAULA HAS BEEN TREATING OUR PETS FOR 15 YEARS AND WE TRUST HER TO HELP THIS NEW ONE. i WAS ASKING FOR SOME THING THAT WOULD NOT HURT TO PUT ON HIS SKIN TO HELP SMELL. mORE TEST ARE SCHEDULED. tHANK YOU.

Dr. Andy :

You bet.

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck. Perhaps, with some continued work to improve overall health and the skin, the problem will continue to resolve.

Dr. Andy :

Sounds like your on the right track just need to pursue it longer.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to close the question by clicking “accept” before just exiting chat. My family greatly appreciates it. Or, let me know if there is anything else I may add to try and be more helpful or informative.

Dr. Andy :

______________________________________

Dr. Andy :

Customer:

SNOPP DOG IS A WONDERFUL DOG WE ARE ALL JUST TRYING TO HELP HIM . oUR OTHER DOG DIED SUDDENLY IN fEB AFTER A LONG LIFE .

Dr. Andy :

I am very sorry for your loss but admire your efforts with Snopp Dog.

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Wanted to add, no criticism of vet.
It wasn't until much later in chat that I realized you were being directed by your vet. It seemed like in initial question, that you have tried a lot of drugs all at once with no guidance or testing.
Sorry for confusion.