CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dogs urine has a very, very strong odor. He has had it

My dog's urine has a very, very strong odor. He has had it since was a puppy and is now 3 years old. My father, who recently moved in with me said that it is not normal and the smell bothers him. My dog seems to urinate on his leg some, which I think causes the problem. My house smells because I think he has been marking around the house. My father brought a chihuahua when he moved in. Is there any problem with my dog or solution to eliminate the smell. Thank you Bob
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

The most common reason for the odor is the common Urinary Tract Infection - LINK HERE

To help identify a cause, aside from a good physical examination, evaluation of the urine (urinalysis
LINK HERE and possible urine culture LINK HERE) are common first tests.

Unless the examination would indicate this is unsafe, to prevent contamination - a free catch, voided sample is not recommended. Rather, your veterinarian will attempt either a urinary catheter sterile sample or cystocentesis (
LINK HERE) to collect a urine sample for evaluation.

If the urine evaluation is negative, and there is no other illness, a very concentrated urine can cause an odor and encouraging water intake is reasonable, but first important to rule out a UTI.

I hope this helps and guides you!

If you have any follow-up questions - please do not hesitate to ask!

Otherwise - please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Please click the "
GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.

Also remember, sometimes the medical information and recommendation may not be what you want to hear, but it is being made in the best interest of your pet - please be courteous in your response, even if this is not exactly what you wanted to hear - we are only making the best and safest possible recommendations for you and your loved ones.

Please keep in mind that if you do not list all the important information above (medical history, current medications, previous illness, etc) it is harder for me to give you the most complete information.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. This is for informational purposes only. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site. While information may be discussed, this is not intended as an encouragement for you to self treat your pet, rather information online, and any treatment provided should only be performed after consulting your veterinarian.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is this possible even if he's had it since a puppy?
Intermittently - yes.

Crystals would be another cause, but before starting therapy - important causes must be ruled out.
Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.