Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My dog has diarrhea and I want to know how much pepto bismol

My dog has diarrhea and I want to know how much pepto bismol to give him. He weighs 78 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Brutus who has some diarrhea! To be honest - you may not need the pepto bismol if you start him on a bland diet from now. I would recommend continuing with the bland diet for 3 - 4 days. Rice and boiled hamburger or cooked, bonless skinless chicken breast is perfect for this type of problem. Also make sure that Brutus is up to date on deworming treatments as well, as intestinal parasites could be the underlying issue here.

If you tried the bland diet and there was no change within 3 - 4 days, then you should really get Brutus and a fresh fecal sample along to your local Vet. Here they can send the fecal sample away for a full fecal culture and sensitivity to rule out nasty infections like salmonella, campylobacter, giardia or coccidia for example.

If you really want to try pepto bismol - you would need an awful lot for Brutus. You can read more about the use of pepto bismol in dogs HERE. The typical dose is 0.5ml per pound per day divided in to several doses. This would work out to be a lot for such a big boy - around 39ml total per day (around 10ml at 4 different intervals). Try just the bland diet for a start and avoiding the pepto bismol and see how you go for a start. 9 times out of 10 this is enough to settle a mild case of diarrhea.

I hope this helps! Best of luck with Brutus.

Thanks and please now click accept.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc