Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

what causes green runny stool in dogs?

what causes green runny stool in dogs?
Submitted: 4 years ago via Maybeckvet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Dr. Andy :

Hello

Dr. Andy :

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Dr. Andy :

Well, whether it is green or not, the causes for bad diarrhea are the same.

Dr. Andy :

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:

Dr. Andy :

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

Dr. Andy :

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

Dr. Andy :

- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)

Dr. Andy :

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.

Dr. Andy :

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

Dr. Andy :

- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.

Dr. Andy :

- Generally, in older pets, I am also concerned about organ disease (liver, kidneys) and cancer.

Dr. Andy :

The stool is green because insufficent bile acid is mixing with the stool.

Dr. Andy :

The transit time of the feces is really fast and flying through the intestinal tract.

Dr. Andy :

So, proper metabolism of food is not occuring, and therefore, proper feces is not being mad.e

Dr. Andy :

made

Dr. Andy :

This is well worth evaluation by a vet and to get some supportive medication.

Dr. Andy :

Testing with bad diarrhea can include a fecal test to check for intestinal parasites (worms or microscopic organisms) and even a blood test or abdominal x-rays.

Dr. Andy :

Hope that info helps

Dr. Andy :

Dr. Andy :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Andy :

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

Dr. Andy :

I greatly appreciate when you click “Accept”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed. This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click “accept”.

Dr. Andy :

REMEMBER: Even after you click a accept, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

Dr. Andy :

After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: Dr. Andy

Customer:

thanks