Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog developed a baseball size hard lump on his front shoulder

My dog developed a baseball size hard lump on his front shoulder ( Came up in a matter of 3 days). At the same time his eye on the same side swelled and oozed. Now has a haze over it like a cataract. We live in South Louisiana in a swampy area. Thought it might be a snake bite, but cannot find any puncture wounds. Other than the eye, he is not in pain & is functioning normally. He is small, less than 20 pounds. ( Maltese, Shitzu, CockerSpaniel Mix). Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks! Suzanne.
Welcome to JustAnswer! I would be happy to assist you. I am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis and a Medical Director of a 4 veterinarian practice.

Very concerning.
first, that lump by shoulder may be a:
- abscess
- tumor
- or could represent an enlarged lymph node that is reacting to what is going on with the eye condition.

Yes, a hypersensitivity reaction of something including an insect bite or sting, is a possible explanation for eye swelling.
The haze is concerning. That can sometimes represent corneal edema (that is, inflammation that occurs on the surface of the eye ball when reacting to an injury like a scratch. Often, the injury itself is not visible on the eye.

It is critical to get into a vet. Critical.
The eye must be evaluated and likely a simple eye stain test performed.

Eye Stain Test for Ulcers

In addition, the swelling likely must be addressed with some steroids.

That shoulder swelling. if the vet is uncertain, they may recommend a simple fine needle aspirate test to help identify what is going on.

Fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to help guide you and your vet as to whether a biopsy is needed, or if surgery should be performed.

That's where I would start. Definitely, cannot be treated at home.

Hope that info helps for Dusty.
Good Luck

If there is something I have not covered for you, please let me know.

I greatly appreciate when you click a “Happy/Excited Face” followed by “Submit”, if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.
If a face selection is not visible, clicking “accept” is much appreciated.
This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to select a face and click submit.
REMEMBER: Even after you click a happy face and select “Submit”, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.
After we conclude this question, I can be requested for additional questions through my profile at: