CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

My dog is coughing, a dry cough, especially after barking.

My dog is coughing, a dry cough, especially after barking. Also he has been throwing up a few times a week, but has decent appetite. If he does lose it he regains it quickly. He sometimes has a clear runny nose. Finally he has a mangy looking coat. Not sure if it related or if he has had a bad haircut trying to grow out. He seems in good spirits still and is an 8 year old, pomeranian. Thank you for your help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.

CriticalCareVet :

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a licensed veterinarian and would be glad to help!

CriticalCareVet :

Based on age, breed, and signs reported, especially in this breed - causes to consider would include:

Allergic airway disease
Heart enlargement
Tracheal collapse
Infectious causes of acute bronchitis

CriticalCareVet :

With that said, if the signs persist or worsen, I would recommend a check-up with your veterinarian.

They may recommend x-rays to make sure there is no evidence of pneumonia and also to listen to the heart and look at the heart on the x-rays with the lungs.

If there is a concern for infection, antibiotics will likely be prescribed.

For congestion, many owners find humidification helpful. This is achieved with a children's / baby's humidifier for 10-15 minutes twice daily, or using the steam from a hot shower - this will allow humidification and help to moisten the airways for mucous breakdown and to improve congestion.

Cough medications can be considered as well - an example is Dextromethorphan (link here). Often before using cough medications, x-rays are used to make sure that there is not a primary or secondary pneumonia as cough medications slow down the treatment of pneumonia.

Customer:

Which disease would cause throwing up. This concerns me the most. It has been happening often. Also his coughing, Hacking, is worse when he is stressed

CriticalCareVet :

They can cough so much they vomit or retch as a result.

CriticalCareVet :

With any of the above.

Customer:

ok thank you. How long should I wait until I take him to my local vet?

CriticalCareVet :

Ideally if the signs continue - I would see your vet as soon as you can get an appointment.

CriticalCareVet :

Good luck!

CriticalCareVet :

Please remember to click ACCEPT

Find me any time if needed: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-criticalcarevet

You can always request me through my profile, bookmark my page for future help, or beginning your question with “For CriticalCareVet”

Customer:

Thank you! Kate~

CriticalCareVet :

You are very welcome!