Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dogs poop is incasted in a slimy (muccus ) like liner. almost

My dogs poop is incasted in a slimy (muccus ) like liner. almost looks like Intestine?, Her poop is soft and still formed. What could it be and do I have to be worry? It does not seems like she is in pain or uncomfortable in any way.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question on just answer. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

The mucous around the stool means there is inflammation in the colon or lower intestines.

It can be caused by a bacterial infection or a parasitic infection.

I know you dewormed her but the over the counter products are not effective against all types of worms and parasites.

It would be a good idea to have a vet checked a fecal sample to rule out abnormal bacteria and parasites. Both conditions can be treated with oral medication.

She could also food ingredient intolerance.

You could try feeding her a bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice for a few days and see if that helps. This is a bland diet and easy to digest.

The most common food allergens are beef, lamb, poultry, corn, and wheat.

There are over the counter diets, labeled sensitive stomach, that you could try to avoid these ingredients. My own dogs eat "proplan sensitive stomach."

The only true way to determine if she has food allergies is to put her on a completely hypo allergenic diet. This is a prescription diet called "hill z/d." You have to get it from a vet. She would need to be on the prescription diet for 6 weeks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you

I have a couple more questions

1. How dangerous is this condition for my dog?

2. What would be the apropiate portion of the bland diet?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.

As long as she is eating normally, playful, and the stools are otherwise normal consistency it is not life threatening. I would definitely have a stool sample checked because abnormal bacteria, and parasites, are common and that would be an easy fix.

The ratio for the chicken and rice is 50:50. Feed about one cup per 10 pounds daily but divided into small meals throughout the day.

Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.