Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog has had diarrhea now for 3 days, last night their was

My dog has had diarrhea now for 3 days, last night their was blood in it, today i'm not seeing any blood but looks like muscus, his temp is 101 and he is drinking water and will eat stuff he likes. His rectum is very red and sore looking.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Has he been licking his rectum?
3- Has he been dewormed?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1- no

2- no

3-He takes a heart worm pill once a mo.that is also for other types of worms.

4- no

5- he did have some vomiting yesterday but not today

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
When we see diarrhea, mucus and blood those are signs of inflammation in the colon (colitis). Your dog has colitis, possible causes could be infections, ingestion of a foreign body, dietary indiscretion, auto immune (IBS), parasites or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.
To determine the exact underlying cause your dog is going to need a fecal analysis, xrays and +/- blood work (chemistry profile and CBC) by your family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol, it will make the bleeding worst. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2mg per pound body weight every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Then, introduce small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy probiotics (fortiflora) over the counter in any pet store.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter