aggieervet
aggieervet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Emergency veterinarian for 5 years and general practice veterinarian for 3 years.
64451712

My dog keeps coughing and spitting up some...like he has a

My dog keeps coughing and spitting up some...like he has a hairball like a cat. He hasn't had any bones. Is there anything I can do? He is an 8 year old Datchsund. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  aggieervet replied 2 years ago.

aggieervet :

I'm a licensed vet and would like to help you

aggieervet :

Does little Barney have any medical problems or current medications?

aggieervet :

Can you describe the cough?

Customer:

no meds, no problems...like a hacking cough trying to clear throat

Customer:

doesn't cough continously, just occasionally, started last night

aggieervet :

has he had any recent boarding/day care/grooming, trips to petsmart/dog park, etc?

Customer:

no

aggieervet :

How long has the cough been going on for?

Customer:

since last night

aggieervet :

Is he otherwise normal? Any lethargy, loss of appetite, nasal/eye discharge, etc?

Customer:

no, otherwise normal...he does eat those chicken jerky strips a lot, was thinking he might have gotten a splinter or something from them

aggieervet :

When he acts like he is 'spitting up' is at the end of a coughing spell?

Customer:

yes

aggieervet :

Since he is otherwise acting normal, then odds are it is an infectious cause of cough (like kennel cough, but there are many others). Especially given it is a hacking cough with a terminal retch (the attempted vomiting) and he is otherwise acting normal. Obviously impossible to say for sure without an exam and radiographs but I think you would be ok just watching him as long as he continues to otherwise act normal. The big benefit of going to a vet at this point would be to start antibiotics (although most still resolve without them but take a few days more)_ +/- a cough suppressant to help him sleep better at night (and you lol). Otherwise you could watch him and go on Monday to your regular vet as long as he is otherwise ok and the cough isn't keeping you both up all night

aggieervet :

Please click the "GREEN ACCEPT" button if the information I have provided has been helpful so I receive credit for helping you. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated.

This is necessary so that I can get credit for assisting you and compensated for my time.

Once you click accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed in the future if you think of something else to ask or need for further information after talking to your vet.

With this communication - we are here to guide you in making the best decision for your pet. We are not allowed to diagnose and prescribe medications - rather provide a course of action to speak to your veterinarian about - and any medical therapy and treatment should only be performed after an in-person examination with your veterinarian as a professional-client relationship has not been established on the site.

You can always request me specifically for your questions through my profile (HERE), bookmark my page for future help, or begin your question with “For Aggieeervet”.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

he is alone inside the house, live out in the country, no other dogs to come into contact with

aggieervet :

there are always other animals (wolfs/coyotes/stray dogs, etc) that can spread these type of diseases too. That being said, if not an infectious cause then would most likely be dealing with one of the following (but they typically come on slower and start to cause other signs): heart disease/failure, cancer, pneumonia, collapsing trachea, etc. They can get things stuck in their throat but this is pretty rare and when it does occur usually due to something large and causes more choking/difficulty breathing problems. Obviously could have swallowed something that got stuck and then he hacked it up but irritated his throat just like an infection.

Customer:

i see, so if it irritated his throat and caused hacking, its no longer there and isn't something to worry too much about...any way to soothe his throat?

aggieervet :

if that's what happened, then yes. He could develop a secondary infection from the irritation (so again may need some antibiotics to help resolve). Otherwise, no there really isn't anything to give other than maybe a cough suppressant from your vet

Customer:

ok, thank you...you have eased my mind for sure

aggieervet :

your welcome and good luck with him....hope he feels better soon! keep him exercise restricted (calm) to minimize further irritation and more coughing, etc, etc

aggieervet, Veterinarian
Experience: Emergency veterinarian for 5 years and general practice veterinarian for 3 years.