DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 10 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

What can be done to stop a spayed female dog from humping a

What can be done to stop a spayed female dog from humping a pillow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrRalston replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Veterinarian and will help you right away!

First, no. There are no hormone injections in female dogs that are both 1) safe to give and 2) actually beneficial in this situation. I do have some suggestions on medications that might help as well as training tools. But first, we must understand what causes this behavior, ok?

Mounting, humping, thrusting, and masturbation are all normal behaviors exhibited by most dogs.

They might use a toy, a blanket, a dog bed. Or most commonly, and most annoying PEOPLE.

Puppies do it sometimes as play, and social ranking. Maybe for experience for later sexual encounters. But, some dogs learn to do this behavior after a certain age, even if they are neutered or spayed, sometimes because it feels good.

But there are more than one reason why?

Sexual behavior - self explainatory

play behavior - sexual behaviors including mounting and thrusting are part of normal play. They usually won't have an erection or ejaculate when playing. Sometimes dogs that aren't as well socialzed will mount when first meeting a new dog.

stress or excitement- perhaps people visiting is exciting or even mildly stressful so, they mount.

compulsive disorders- this is the juice. This is when it has become a learned behavior more of a habit in response to stress.

social behavior - again, usually as a social status or control.

Medical problems that you should consider, there are many:
urinary tract infections, urinary incontinence, pripism in males (persistent erections), and even skin allergies (!) can influence mounting behavior. SO...

first step with behavior, and people often don't follow me on this, is a full exam with blood work and urinalysis to rule out a medical condition. Dogs just like people do weird things when they are sick.

What to do:

Get her attention BEFORE she starts mounting. Usually you can tell when they are getting ready to mount or getting too close to a suspected leg.
Maybe they slide up to them and start to pant, paw, whine, or rub them. As soon as you see that, or you see them start to mount someone:

Toss a ball, start a game, give a chewie, make a noise to distract them, or have her do a previously learned trick like sit stay, or roll over, or shake.

In this way, you are distracting the behavior at hand, and redirecting it towards a more appropriate behavior, you understand? It has to be done EVERYTIME!! And it will take patience.

If your dog was not neutered, that would definitely the first thing to do to lower sexual motivation.

If the dog tries to mount again, repeat the distraction technique, and have her do a trick, treat, toy, behavior.

Then, you might try a time out. Take your dog to a different room away from everyone for 1-3 minutes. Then, give her a chance to interact again correctly. Some dogs catch onto that really fast, so it might be worth leaving a collar and leash during training.

Patience is key, and persistence.

Again, especially if there is a medical problem, that will need to be addressed first before any solution will work, ok!

But if there is some anxiety you might try something to take the edge off :

Two natural items you can try at home are melatonin and DAP:

Melatonin can be dosed at 1.5 mg per dose for dogs under 30 pounds, and 3 mg per dose for dogs over 30 pounds. Repeat, if needed, 2-3 times a day.

One last item you might try is called DAP (dog appeasing pheromone). It can be found in air freshener form. It reminds the dogs of the smell of their mother when they were nursing. Think of it like the smell of fresh baked bread or chocolate chip cookies for them. Here's a link on that http://www.dogappeasingpheromone.com/

And a link on where to buy Click here

These products can also be found often at local pet stores including PetCo and Petsmart.

For dogs with TRUE compulsive behaviors fluoxetine and Clomicalm have both been used. You would need to get those from the Vet.

Sometimes you just need to call in somebody to work with you in person for really tough behaviors!

Either aggression as a base for humping, or a compulsive behavior...

These are very hard to treat. Please understand that I am going to try to give you information but aggression is one of the hardest things to treat. And I often lose people on these type of questions because there are no simple solutions obviously.

If a person changes their behavior quite suddenly or changes over time to unacceptable we suspect something is wrong with them. If they are aware of the changes but unable to control them, they often seek medical help in the form of a Doctor that treats behavior problems. In humans that's a Psychiatrist, but in animals we refer to Veterinary Behaviorists.

This is a true specialty in Veterinary Medicine and these Doctors can help you diagnose the problem faster and get you to an acceptable answer faster as well. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to give any help online with agression. It is best dealt with a one on one approach of treatment and behavior modification.

The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists recommends this advice on finding an acceptable trainer How to select a trainer link

This link will help you find a Board Certified Behaviorist in your area Click here

Please accept my offer to help. Good luck.
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 10 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.