Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

my 3 year old yorkie has become very nervous, any little bang

Customer Question

my 3 year old yorkie has become very nervous, any little bang or dropping of a pot or dish seem to scare him causing him to bark, rain thunder almost any noise makes him bark excessively can not control his barking. he is barking at everything me leaving people walking bye all noises. he was not like this in the past. it started about 3 months ago
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Steve O. replied 5 years ago.

Steve O. :

HI, I'm Dr Steve. Has anything changed on your house about the time he started doing this/

JACUSTOMER-rw583qg4- :

no

Steve O. :

ok

Steve O. :

It is possible that some thing has caused some anxiety issues in your dog. It is often very difficult to determine what was the cause of this behavior issue.

Steve O. :

The noises that seem to set him off may be causing or increasing the anxiety that is bothering him.

JACUSTOMER-rw583qg4- :

what can i do to calm him. if i pick him up and tell him it ok he is shaking

Steve O. :

Unfortunately this is a behavioral issue that can be difficult to stop. There isn't any easy or very effective behavioral training that helps reduce anxiety. I have had clients use antianxiety medicines to help reduce the anxiety or stress that sets him off.

JACUSTOMER-rw583qg4- :

and what kind of anxiety meds and where do i get them.

Steve O. :

I have used clomiacalm or reconcile . These are both pills that are given once a day for 2-3 weeks to determine if they are helping. If they see, to work, then I use thme for 2-3 months to help him realize that noises are not going to hurt him and after that time period, he may be fine without the meds.

Steve O. :

These are available from your vet who can help figure the correct dosage. Of course you will need to discuss this possibility with your vet to be sure there is nothing else that he may feel could also be involved.

JACUSTOMER-rw583qg4- :

do i get these from his vet

Steve O. :

Yes.

Steve O. :

I hope this has helped. If ithas would you please click the accept button so I may receive credit for my answer. Thank you and god luck. If you have mroe questions, please continue