Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner

my dog has sore feet with sores and oozing in-between toes.

Customer Question

my dog has sore feet with sores and oozing in-between toes. what can i do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Maggie replied 4 years ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am going to try to answer your question today.

First, I need a little more information:

1.) How long has this been going on for?

2.) How many feet seem to be effected?

3.) Are the sores predominantly in between the paw pads or are the pads themselves effected as well?

4.) Anything she may have gotten into (or walked through) that may have been irritating to the skin that you are aware of?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just today, went horse backhanding in the desert. bait rocky

all of his feet.

between the pads with some open sores

no just runs a lot over the ought terrain

Thanks for the additional information.

There are a couple of possibilities here. First, since you were in the dessert, it is possible she could have gotten some contact burns on her paw pads. If you feel as though there are lesions that look like burns present, then it would be a good idea to get her in to see your vet first thing in the morning for appropriate care. These often require bandaging with a silver sulfadine solution in order to help promote healing.

If this appears to be more due to irritations/abrasions from terrain, I would recommend checking each foot carefully to make sure there aren't any sticks or things poking into her foot. Then, I would recommend carefully lavaging her feet with water over her sores, followed by hydrogen peroxide, and then packing the wounds with an antibiotic cream. If she is limping at all in the morning, or if she isn't healing well in the next few days, then I would recommend getting her in to see your vet for a complete exam. And, as always, if you think things look worse rather than better at any point, a trip to the vet clinic is warranted.

Hopefully that answered your question. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

If you found this information helpful, please click the green 'Accept' button or positive feedback so I can get compensated for my time. Thanks and best of luck with your dog!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ps she's a he!
Very sorry for my mistake - it must be past my bedtime! Thanks for the kind accept.