Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dark spots appeared on my dogs belly (in the area of the hind

Customer Question

Dark spots appeared on my dogs belly (in the area of the hind leg). It looks like broken blood vessels (like bruising) under the surface of the skin. She keeps licking the area. Also appears the same way around the anus but I can't get a real good look at that area so I'm not as certain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr. Peter a licensed Veterinarian. I would like to help. I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice. There is no additional charge for information request.

1- Did the bruising appear after she started the licking?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Any other symptoms?
4- Take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure which started first the licking or the darks spots (sorry)
It's been going on a few months that I'm aware of.
No other symptons. she active and eating well, her bowl movements are normal etc.
Gums look pink.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
The redness/bruising you are describing could be as a result of the licking. There are also systemic diseases that can cause bleeding under the skin. For example, if the dog has a coagulation disorder or low platelets (cells part of coagulation) can cause bleeding under the skin. This is what you can do:

1- Pick up an ecollar (cone) to stop her from licking. If she continues to lick she will make it worst.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "hibiclens" antimicrobial soap and wash lesions 2-3 times a day with hibiclens.
3- After washing as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 10-14 days.
4- Have your family veterinarian perform a blood test and examine the lesion if you do not notice significant improvement with 2-3 days after doing the above.

Hope the above helps, if you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer.

The area is not red like an inflamation, the spots are more like freckles only larger about the size of a dime and several of them. She is also l licking/biting the bottom of her tail and her anus.
The anus looks like it's darker in that area than normal.

Does this information change anything?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
When it becomes darker (hyperpigmentation) it is due to inflammatory cells releasing melanin, this happens in long standing irritation to the tissues either from licking, underlying allergies, low grade infections, etc. that would further support to place an ecollar (cone) and treat as above.
If the other lesion does not appear to be inflamed on the skin and looks like an under the skin problem then that would be more consistent with something like low platelets or coagulation disorders, I would have her checked by your family veterinarian as described above.
Additional information does not change the initial recommendations.

Your Welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Peter:

Sorry to bother you again but I'm hoping you can answer one more question.

I bought the items you requested and put it on her belly and tail (she only has a stub for a tail). There are dark spots around the rim of her anal area; Is it safe to apply the Hibiclens & Bacitracin to that area? (external only)

Thanks again.
WF
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it is very safe to apply in the anal area. It is important for you to know in the areas that are dark, the inflammation will get better but the dark color may not go away.

Nice to talk to you again, it is not a bother, please let me know if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter