Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Dog Veterinary

My female dog has very enlarged swollen rear breast, though

only the one on the... Show More
only the one on the left side is really big. Her vagina is also large and swollen.

I do not think she is preganant but we recently took in a cat who has just delivered a litter of kittens. (Apprently the cat was preganat before we took her in.)

We had planned to spay our dog but then we took in the cat and our dog's breasts began to swell ad we weren't sure if she were pregant or if somehow the dog was reacting to the cat's hormones.

Our vet treated our dog with antibiotics saying she had mastitis but a full round of pills has had no effect. One rear breast is four to five times the size it would be if she were pregnant. She is a Great Dane.

Since the antibiotics did no good we are looking for a second opinion as to what the cause may be.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 4 years ago.
Hello.

It does sound like mastitis to me as well, especially if it's just one gland that is swollen. These guys can be hard to treat as we need both oral antibiotics and local treatment. Locally, you need to hot back the gland every 4-6 hours. You do this by holding a warm water washcloth on the gland for 5-10 minutes. After the warm packing, you need to milk out as much of the milk/ pus as you can out of the gland.

If you don't milk out the gland daily, it does not tend to heal well. The other thing that can help is using cabbage leaves to wrap the gland. The cabbage leaves can pull some of the inflammation out of the gland.

I also put thee guys on pain meds- usually a combination of an anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl) + an opiate pain med like Tramadol.

For antibiotics, I usually go with Clavamox. Baytril is another good option.

With the swollen vulva, it's likely that she had a false pregnancy leading to the mammary development and then the gland got infected subsequently. I don't think the cat had anything to do with the mastitis development.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.